Royal Association: a pair of George II cast candlesticks, of knopped baluster form with spool shaped capitals and shell border decoration, on hexafoil shell bases with sunken centres, the detachable nozzles with shell borders, each engraved with initials 'AC' and Royal coat of arms with motto, and engraved underneath with scratch weights (23-0", 23-18"), by John Cafe, 1747 (bearing later French duty marks), 23.25cm high, 46oz. (2)
The candlesticks were, by family repute, given by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert to Lady Antoinette Cart on leaving her position at Court. She is believed to have been governess to the royal children in the 1840's/50's. The candlesticks have remained in the same family until very recently when the present owner acquired them.