Lot Content

COVID-19 Important notice Read More
Sir Albert Richardson, Houfe and Partners (1946-1964)

Artist's Resale Right ("Droit de Suite"). Artist's Resale Right Regulations 2006 apply to this lot, the buyer agrees to pay us an amount equal to the resale royalty provided for in those Regulations, and we undertake to the buyer to pay such amount to the artist's collection agent.
Sir Albert Richardson, Houfe and Partners (1946-1964)

Design for the Restoration of the Church of St. James's Piccadilly after war damage in 1940

Details
Sir Albert Richardson, Houfe and Partners (1946-1964) Design for the Restoration of the Church of St. James's Piccadilly after war damage in 1940 inscribed 'The Church of St. James' Piccadilly/Architect - Sir Christopher Wren/Isometric Drawing of Proposed Reconstruction and/Underpinning of Tower and 18th Century Spire/after damage by Enemy Action in the year 1940' (lower right) and further inscribed 'Sir Albert Richardson - Houfe & Partners/Architects for the Reconstruction/Drawn by L.W. Culter' (lower left) pencil, pen and grey ink, on paper 71½ x 27¼ in. (181.5 x 69.2 cm.)
Special Notice

Artist's Resale Right ("Droit de Suite"). Artist's Resale Right Regulations 2006 apply to this lot, the buyer agrees to pay us an amount equal to the resale royalty provided for in those Regulations, and we undertake to the buyer to pay such amount to the artist's collection agent.

Brought to you by

Alexandra Cruden
Alexandra Cruden Auction Administrator

Lot Essay

Following the end of the Second World War, Professor Sir Albert Richardson and his partner Eric Houfe found themselves at the centre of efforts to repair and restore London's bomb damaged buildings. Richardson's training and long experience practicing in the classical tradition, meant that he was ideally placed to understand the buildings. Furthermore, as a student and young architect, he had made numerous detailed studies of many of London's finest buildings and these drawings and notes proved invaluable in their restoration.
St. James's Piccadilly, the only Wren church in the West End of London, was badly hit during the first phase of the Blitz on 14 October 1940. The fabric of the building was severely damaged and the structure rendered roofless, a state in which it remained for the next seven years during which time a temporary roof was erected over parts of the south aisle, which enabled church services to resume. Luckily the marble font, altar carvings, altar piece and organ casing which had all been protected, survived the attack.
Professor Richardson described saving St. James's as one of the 'heaviest tasks of his career' (S. Houfe, op. cit., p. 182). Richardson and Houfe worked on the rebuilding of the church between 1947 and 1954, partly because of the difficulty in procuring materials in Post-War Britain and partly due to the severity and complexity of the project the spire of St. James's was only completed by Houfe eight years after his partner's death.

We are grateful to John Harris and Charles Hind for their assistance with cataloguing the group of architectural drawings.

More From The Collection of Professor Sir Albert Richardson, P.R.A.

View All
View All