Upcoming Auctions and Events

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
SIX GERMAN PORCELAIN PLATES OF 'ST. ANDREW FIRST CALLED' SERVICE-TYPE
These lots have been imported from outside the EU … Read more
SIX GERMAN PORCELAIN PLATES OF 'ST. ANDREW FIRST CALLED' SERVICE-TYPE

19TH CENTURY, PROBABLY MEISSEN, BLUE CROSSED SWORDS MARKS, RED ENAMEL HERMITAGE INVENTORY MARKS

Details
SIX GERMAN PORCELAIN PLATES OF 'ST. ANDREW FIRST CALLED' SERVICE-TYPE
19TH CENTURY, PROBABLY MEISSEN, BLUE CROSSED SWORDS MARKS, RED ENAMEL HERMITAGE INVENTORY MARKS
Each painted with a bouquet of flowers within a moulded band of Gotzkowsky erhabene Blumen, the border with the Imperial Russian arms and the cross of the Order of St. Andrew, within a gilt rim, minor wear to gilt rims
9½ in. 24 cm. diameter
Special notice

These lots have been imported from outside the EU for sale using a Temporary Import regime. Import VAT is payable (at 5%) on the Hammer price. VAT is also payable (at 20%) on the buyer’s Premium on a VAT inclusive basis. When a buyer of such a lot has registered an EU address but wishes to export the lot or complete the import into another EU country, he must advise Christie's immediately after the auction.
Sale room notice
Please note that this lot should not be marked with an * (asterisk) as in the printed catalogue.

This lot is in free circulation and will be offered under the VAT Margin Scheme meaning no VAT will be charged on the hammer price. VAT at 20% will be added to the buyer's premium.

Brought to you by

Carys Bingham
Carys Bingham

Check the condition report or get in touch for additional information about this

Condition report

If you wish to view the condition report of this lot, please sign in to your account.

Sign in
View condition report

Lot Essay

These plates were made as later replacements for the original Meissen service which was given by the Saxon Elector Augustus II (King Augustus III of Poland) to Elizabeth I Petrovna on the occasion of the marriage of her nephew, Grand Prince Peter Fedorovich, later Peter III, to Sophie-Auguste von Anhalt-Zerbst, later Catherine II Alekseevna (Catherine The Great, Empress of Russia 1762-1796).

Some 440 pieces of the original service are listed in an inventory (dated 5th November 1745) of chattels belonging to the Imperial household of St. Petersburg, and 145 pieces are still in the Hermitage. For a discussion of the service and an example of an 18th century plate from this service see D. Hoffmeister, Meissener Porzellan des 18. Jahrhunderts, Katalog der Sammlung Hoffmeister, Hamburg, 2000, Vol. II., pp. 546-547, no. 363 and pp. 572-574.

The Order of St. Andrew, the highest of all Russian Imperial Orders, was founded in 1698 by Peter the Great, and the cross is a simplified version of the Order's badge; depicted without the black double-headed eagle that usually accompanies it, and St. Andrew is also depicted without a halo. The letters at each end of the cross, S, A, P and R are an abbreviation of Sanctus Andreas Patronus Russiae.

More from The English Collector: English Furniture, Clocks, European Ceramics & Portrait Miniatures

View All
View All