Lot Content

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
The installation of the Library was one of the main reasons for the alterations between 1849-1851 at Keir by the architect Alfred Jenoure of London. The room was lined with cedar to protect the books from worms and on every horizontal surface in the room the proverbs and mottoes which were Sir William Stirling-Maxwell's lifetime hobby were inscribed in marquetry. The following nine lots (123-131) were designed for the library at Keir circa 1850 almost certainly by Sir William Stirling later Sir William Stirling-Maxwell and some are shown in the engraving of the Library at Keir, 1858 shown opposite
The Keir library table, the circular cedar top with crossbanded border, applied with the inscription The heart of him that hath understanding seeketh knowledge, the frieze with applied inscription Unius aetatis sunt ovae fortiter finit ovae vero pro vitate rei publicae ribuniur aeterna (brave deeds belong to a single moment, but things of the state last forever), on four spirally-turned supports carved with roundels and bun feet, joined by a pierced circular undertier, carved with the Stirling crest, 52in. (132cm) diam

Details
The Keir library table, the circular cedar top with crossbanded border, applied with the inscription The heart of him that hath understanding seeketh knowledge, the frieze with applied inscription Unius aetatis sunt ovae fortiter finit ovae vero pro vitate rei publicae ribuniur aeterna (brave deeds belong to a single moment, but things of the state last forever), on four spirally-turned supports carved with roundels and bun feet, joined by a pierced circular undertier, carved with the Stirling crest, 52in. (132cm) diam
;

More from Stirling of Keir

View All
View All