The Dutchman, John Ariens Van Hamme probably started production at Copthall pottery in Vauxhall in 1676. It has been suggested that he was responsible for producing these Popish Plot tiles and plates of the same subject. Van Hamme died in 1680 but production was continued by Henry de Wilde until 1693 and continued under various directorships until 1730. The graphic source for these tiles are a series of engravings for playing cards carried out in 1679. The two tiles in the present lot depicit 'Sre. B. Godfree is persuaded to goe down Somerset house yard' from the Ten of Spades, and the other from the Five of Spades illustrating 'The Body of Sr. E.B.G. carry'd to Primrose hill on a Horse', see Frank Britton, London Delftware, London, 1987, p. 176, fig. 22.