Recollections of Lord's and the Marylebone Cricket Club. [London]: for private circulation, [1914]. 8vo, mounted photograph showing the ground plan in 1814, 1864 and 1914 on front blank. (Some waterstaining to bottom margins.) Original printed wrappers (spine neatly repaired). Provenance: PRESENTATION COPY TO F.S. ASHLEY-COOPER (one-page letter, dated 'Lord's Cricket Ground 8/6/14', from the author to Ashley-Cooper, 'enclosing a copy of a few recollections of Lord's', tipped-in at front).

FIRST EDITION. An important record of changes to the ground from 1865 onwards, this memoir by the Club's first employee covers a fifty year period of development, and even records the date, 1868, when a 'mowing machine' was first used. 'Mr. Robert Grimston ... had a great objection to its use, so that when he was in evidence, the machine had to be put in the cart shed' (p. 30). Padwick 1019 & 1238.

More from Sporting Books and Memorabilia Including Duplicates From Marylebone Cricket Club Library

View All
View All