Browse Lots

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
William Leighton Leitch (1804-1883)

St. Bernard's Well, Water of Leith, near Edinburgh, Scotland

Details
William Leighton Leitch (1804-1883)
St. Bernard's Well, Water of Leith, near Edinburgh, Scotland
pencil and watercolour heightened with touches of white, unframed
10 7/8 x 15 3/8 in. (27.6 x 39 cm.)
Literature
J. Parker Lawson, Scotland Delineated, London, 1847-54, 2 vols. folio.

Lot Essay

St. Bernard's Well, built in 1789, was Alexander Nasmyth's first known commission in Edinburgh. Lord Gardenstone, the patron, felt that he had benefited from the healing properties of the sulphurous spring of mineral water over which it was built. This Roman-style temple, whose outline is taken from Sibyl's temple at Tivoli, consists of a detailed entablature, supported on ten Doric columns, with a statue of Hygeia beneath the dome. Situated on the south bank of the Water of Leith, the well is a short distance from Stockbridge, seen in the distance.
;

More from British Watercolours

View All
View All