The shape of this krateriskos was first utilized in Egypt as a vessel for ointments, oils and cosmetics during the reign of Amenhotep II. Handles were added later to the shape during the reign of Tuthmosis IV. The popularity of this vessel shape continued through the reign of Amenhotep III and the early years of the reign of Amenhotep IV. For a similar example in the Ernesto Wolf Collection see no. 5 in Stern and Schlick-Nolte, Early Glass in the Ancient World, 1600 B.C.-A.D. 50. According to the authors, p. 130, op. cit., several examples of the type were found at Malqata, Amenhotep III's palace at Thebes. Cooney comments, regarding a similar example (Catalogue of Egyptian Antiquities in the British Museum, IV, Glass, no. 1738), that glass vessels in this period were likely made solely for the royal court.