PROPERTY FROM THE TOLEDO MUSEUM OF ART, SOLD TO BENEFIT THE ACQUISITIONS FUND
The Toledo Museum of Art (TMA) was founded April 18, 1901. More than a century later, TMA is considered one of the finest general art museums in the country for the quality and for the comprehensiveness of its collections as well as for its sterling architecture. Set on 36 acres, the Museum is the only one in America with buildings by two Pritzker Prize winners (Frank Gehry and SANAA). These more modern constructions are set against Edward B. Green Beaux-Arts masterpieces, all of which serve as the backdrop for the TMA’s collection of more than 30,000 artworks. From its founding, the Museum has been committed to collecting ‘singular artworks from singular artists,’ and indeed, on a work-for-work basis, TMA is considered extraordinary among its peers. The Museum’s collection ranges widely chronologically and geographically, but its collection of ancient Egyptian, Greek, and Roman artworks is considered one of its primary strengths. The Museum is excited to work with Christie’s to bring objects with this pedigree and provenance to the market to help the Museum continue to build its collection.