In the summer of 1940 a R.A.F unit was stationed at Aboukir, about 12 miles east of Alexandria. Due to persistant flooding, the Unit Commander decided to have the area around the offices drained. In November 1942 work commenced, but only a foot below the surface the pickaxes hit a rock shelf which then led to a series of rooms and passages. The site of the tomb was by the ancient city of Canopus, a leading city and port at the mouth of the main stream of the Nile during the later Dynasties and Graeco-Roman Periods. In typed notes of the finds it is recorded, "Details of articles found in Loculus 'G': 311 Ushabties, 27 of which were 15 to 17 cms long and 285 were about 10 cms ... inscribed with the usual 6th Chapter of the Book of the Dead and were of Her Zeb Her". The most important of the finds were deposited in the Graeco-Roman museum, Alexandria.