[CIVIL WAR]. Manuscript map of the greater Vicksburg theatre, evidently prepared for use of the U.S. 47th Illinois Cavalry in the Union offensive against this Confederate stronghold. N.p., n.d. [late 1862-early 1863]. 1 page, folio (16 x 12 in.), carefully drawn in black and red ink, on silked cloth. With autograph notation on recto: "Scale 1 inch to six mile. S. A. L."; and docket along top edge of verso: "Co. F. 47th Cvy."
AN IMPRESSIVE CIVIL WAR MAP that shows the towns, rivers, swamps, mountains, roads, rail lines, and troop positions in the areas north and east of Vicksburg, with Vicksburg appearing at the southwest (lower left), and Jackson at the lower right corner. The Mississippi runs along the left edge, north to Moon Lake and Bolivar, while the Yazoo runs diagonally across the map from Vicksburg up to Yazoo City and beyond to the northeast. A series of X's at four positions along the Mississippi River probably indicate Confederate defenses along the serpentine approaches to Vicksburg. This map likely dates from the early, unsuccessful phase of Union operations against this crucial city, from October 1862 to March 1863. (The 47th Cavalry was a Union regiment from Peoria, Illinois.) During these months Grant and Sherman tried to assault the city from the north and through the bayous to the east. The Confederates thwarted these plans, leading Grant to devise his bold and successful strategy of moving past the city to the south, crossing the river below Vicksburg, and bringing a massive force to bear from the east. Surrounded and besieged, the Confederate garrison of 40,000 men surrendered on Independence Day 1863. The 47th Illinois Cavalry, raised mainly in Peoria, served at Corinth, Memphis and Vicksburg.