This work is one of the best known dictionaries of the Ottoman period. First composed in 1545 AD, it was widely edited in the 19th century with more than 15 editions recorded between 1826 and 1906.
The colophon indicates that the scribe, Ahmad bin Muhammad bin 'Ali, was Preacher in the Old Mosque of Marghus. The city of Marghus is probably the same as Margus, now the modern town of Pozarevac in eastern Serbia. Also known in Ottoman Turkish as Pasarofca, it is mentioned in the 16th century as part of the Sanjak of Sernendre. The town is famous for its role in the Treaty of Passarovitz (Pasarofca) which ended the Austro-Turkish war of 1716-18.