12 June 2009
ROME 1671 -- [PRINT]. "Veduta del Castello, e Ponte Sant'Angelo, abbellito, et adornato con le statue degli angeli da Papa Clemente IX." [Rome], 1671. Engraving by GIOVANNI BATTISTA FALDA after the design of GIOVANNI LORENZO BERNINI. 468 x 692 mm, with margins.
A splendid impression of this fine view of the festival held on the occasion of Pope CLEMENT X taking possession of the newly completed bridge at Sant'Angelo and the restored Castello Sant'Angelo. Most of the celebrated statues which Bernini and his studio executed for this bridge were completed in 1669 when Pope Clement IX, who had given Bernini the commission, died. The "Angel with the Cross," the statue in the right row on the bridge and considered the masterpiece of ERCOLE FERRATA, was not completed until 1670 and in the following year the bridge was formally inaugurated. In the foreground is the sedia gestatoria holding Pope Clement X followed by his College of Cardinals. The engraving was entrusted by Bernini to Giovanni Battista Falda, the most accomplished architectural engraver in Rome. Bernini had given his designs to Faldo for the engraving. Their close relationship is evident in Falda's inclusion of Bernini's plan for the Colonnade of St. Peter with the so-called terzo braccio, which was never completed. Gandellini, Notizie degli Intagliatori, (Siena 1808-1816), vol. II, p. 7.
Contact Client Service
New York +1 212 636 2000
London +44 (0)20 7839 9060
Asia +852 2760 1766
Post-War and Contemporary Art specialist Hala Khayat discusses the emerging trends and most sought-after artists in Middle Eastern art
On 6 and 7 of December Christie’s will offer almost 400 lots from a collection that includes works by Hals, Van Dyck, Leyster, Snyders and Jan Brueghel the Elder