This clock's well proportioned case and dial reflects Daniel Delander's apprenticeship to Thomas Tompion and later collaboration with George Graham. Graham's influence on the case, particularly the gilt-metal escutcheons, can be noted. The backplate engraving is comparable in style to that of the Huguenot clockmaker Claude Duchesne. The case style closely conforms to two illustrated in Dawson, Drover and Parkes, Woodbridge, Early English Clocks, Woodbridge, 1982, pp. 486-487, plates 719 and 722. The former, with grande sonnerie, from the Rous Lench Collection, sold Christie's, London, 4 July 1990, lot 106, (£75,000).
Daniel Delander (d.1733) was apprenticed to Charles Halstead on 25 April 1692 but possibly merely in name, to circumvent the Clockmakers' Company regulations, as he was with Tompion by 1693 and was made Free of the Clockmakers' Company on 3 July, 1699. After his Freedom in 1699 Delander was recorded by the Spectator as being Servant to Thomas Tompion (1639-1713). In 1714 he moved from Devereux Court to a house between the two Temple Gates in Fleet Street.