Richard C. Barder, The Georgian Bracket Clock 1714-1830, Antique Collectors' Club, 1993, pp.84-86; Eric Bruton, The Wetherfield Collection of Clocks, NAG Press, 1981, p.107, fig.53.
John Ellicott (1706-1772) was one of the most eminent clock and watch makers of the 18th century. He took premises in Sweetings Alley, near the Royal Exchange, circa 1728. Renowned for the fine quality of his workmanship, not surprisingly he was appointed Clockmaker to the King. In 1760 he was joined in business by his son Edward and the two worked in partnership until John's death in 1772. He introduced this distinctive case style circa 1755. See also lots 155 and 159.