Pierre Kjellberg, L'encyclopédie de la Pendule Francaise, les éditions de l'amateur, 1997, p.487, fig.C; Christie's London, Important Clocks and Marine Chronometers, 5 July 2006, lot 89; Sotheby's New York, The Joseph M. Meraux Collection of Rare and Unusual Clocks, 28 June 1993, lot 47.
Known as 'Les Wallaces' the Wallace fountains have become symbols of Paris. They were a gift from the English philanthropist Sir Richard Wallace to the City of Paris in 1872. Sir Richard donated fifty of them (to which the City later added another thirty-six of identical design) in order that the public could have constant free drinking water in the streets of Paris. Wallace commissioned the design from the French sculptor Charles-August Lebourg. The four goddesses supporting the roof of the fountain represent Simplicity, Temperence, Charity & Goodness. A thin trickle of water flows down the centre of each fountain between the statues and and originally there were two cups on chain attached to them. The fountains work from March 15 to November 15.
The present clock is based on Wallace's large model. Cast in iron and painted green these stand some 2.71 metres high and weigh 610 kilograms.