The steel screw schooner Golden Eagle was designed by the great G.L. Watson and built by Ramage & Ferguson at Leith in 1899. Owned by Sir Samuel Scott, M.P. for Marylebone, of Grosvenor Square, London, she was registered at 356 tons gross (159 net & 445 Thames), and measured 159 feet in length with a 25 foot beam. Engined by her builders and with sails by Ratsey & Lapthorn, she was a handsome vessel and remained with her first owner until 1907 when he sold her to Arthur Salvin Bowlby of Gilston Park, Harlow, Essex. Renamed Vanessa by her new owner, Bowlby allowed the Admiralty to charter her as an armed patrol yacht for the duration of the Great War (from Oct. 1914), during which time she rendered valuable service in Home Waters. Released back to Mr. Bowlby in March 1919, he kept her for a few more years until she was sold to Sir William Raeburn, Bt., who restored her original name to Golden Eagle once again.