Designed by St. Clare J. Byrne and built by D. & W. Henderson & Co. at Glasgow in 1898, Norseman was constructed of steel throughout and sported an unusual barquentine rig on her three masts. Registered at 422 tons gross (168 net & 521 Thames), she measured 160 feet in length with a 27 foot beam and was engined by her builders. First owned by Mr. S.R. Platt of Werneth Park, Oldham, Lancashire, he sold her to J.F. Laycock in 1903 who in turn sold her to the Earl of Lonsdale in 1906, both of whom retained her original name. After Lord Lonsdale sold her in 1909, she underwent a brief change of name to Yreryr before being bought by William Birtwistle of Preston who restored her christened name of Norseman. Although Mr. Birtwistle still had her in 1914, there is no information to suggest that she was requisitioned for war service and she had disappeared from record by 1920.