The three-masted iron screw schooner Jason was launched as the Amy in 1877. Designed by St. Clare J. Byrne and built by the Barrow Shipbuilding Company, she was registered at 288 tons gross (196 net & 416 Thames), and measured 162 feet in length with a 24 foot beam. Engined by J. Jones & Sons of Liverpool, her original owner sold her to Mr. Frank Bibby of Hardwicke Grange, Shrewsbury, in 1881 and he kept her for thirty years until replacing her with a larger vessel of the same name in 1913. The new Jason was built by Day, Summers of Southampton who apparently took her ageing predecessor in 'part exchange' since they are noted as the older yacht's owners in 1914. Thereafter disappearing from record, the old Jason was probably scrapped during the Great War.