Designed by Charles Nicholson, built by Thornycroft at Southampton and fitted out by Camper & Nicholson at Gosport, Miranda was launched in 1910 for the extremely wealthy Lord Leith of Fyvie Castle, Aberdeenshire. A very large twin-screw steel schooner, she was registered at 792 tons gross (363 net & 942 Thames) and measured 206 feet in length with a 32 foot beam. Powered by a triple-expansion 6-cylinder engine by Thornycroft, she had a teak upper-deck and no expense was spared in fitting her out. Taken up for wartime duties in 1915, she was given pendant number 048 but named Miranda II so as to avoid confusion with the brand new 'M' class destroyer Miranda which had just been commissioned. After four useful years in the Auxiliary Patrol, during which she was armed with 2-12pdrs., she was released from war service in February 1919 and returned to civilian use, being renamed Patricia soon afterwards.