A study for a tomb dated 1598 in the Church of S. Anne, Augsburg. Christoph Schwarz was a pupil of Hans Bocksberger II in Munich and then Titian in Venice. On his return to Munich he was appointed court painter, a post which he held until his death. He was responsible for decorating several public buildings in Munich and several of his works were engraved by Jan Sadeler.
A drawing of the same composition also attributed to the artist is in the Narodwe Museum, Warsaw, and a copy is in the Staatsgalerie, Stuttgart (inv. no. 5987). For other drawings by Schwarz see Zeichnung in Deutschland. Deutsche Zeichner 1540-1640, exhib. cat., Stuttgart, Staatsgalerie, 1979-80, nos. D9-12.