The son of a Leicestershire farmer, Glover was appointed writing master at a school in Westmorland in 1786, and eight years later became drawing master in Lichfield, Staffordshire. He was a pupil of William Payne (1760-1830; see lot 139), and in 1795 began exhibiting oil paintings at the Royal Academy, which were favourably received compared to those of Turner (see lot 142), much to the irritation of John Constable (see lots 140-1).
Glover was a founding member of the Old Water-Colour Society, and his works were more highly priced than any other artist's in the inaugural exhibition of 1804. He was appointed President in 1807 and in 1815, when he was also the first English artist to be awarded a Gold Medal at the Paris Salon. In 1831 he emigrated to Tasmania, where he continued to paint and had a profound effect on the subsequent development of Australian art.
In exploring new ways to capture light and atmosphere in his work Glover developed the technique of painting foliage with a split brush which can be seen in the trees and vegetation in the present watercolour. He travelled extensively both in the British Isles and on the Continent, and in his grand landscapes such as Landscape with Ruins and a Distant View of the Sea (Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney) he was much influenced by Claude and Richard Wilson (1712-1796; see lots 118-9).
For another watercolour by Glover see lot 165.