Fosse Hill was built for F.B. Swanwick by Norman Jewson (1884-1975) in 1923. The present chimneypiece characterized by its elegant and simple architectural form is typical of Norman Jewsons work. He belonged to a group working in the Cotswolds under the influence of Ernest Gimson who was one of the leading exponents of the Arts and Crafts movement. Like Gimson, Jewson believed architecture and craft were interdependent and traditional materials and craftsmanship should be combined with simple yet graceful design.