A comparable bureau by Alphonse Giroux, Paris, was sold, Christie's New York, 31 October 2000, lot 304. The Maison Alphonse Giroux was established in 1799 by Franois-Simon-Alphonse Giroux (d. 1848), with premises at 7, rue du Coq-Saint-Honor, Paris. Specialising in the production and sale of small items of furniture, objets d'art, de fantaisie et de papeterie, the firm was responsible for the bedroom suite supplied to Charles X in 1826. In 1838, the company was taken over by Giroux's two sons, Alphonse-Gustave (d. 1886) and Andre (d. 1874), who under the name of Giroux & Cie continued and expanded the business, showing and frequently winning medals at the Exposition des produits de l'industrie franaise. In 1857, the business relocated to 43, boulevard des Capucines, where it remained until 1867, when it was taken over by Duvinage and Harinckouk.