A comparable cabinet, with identical marquetry panels and signed Hunsinger et Wagner, is in the collections of the Musee d'Orsay, Paris (illustrated D. Ledoux-Lebard, Le Mobilier Français du XIXime Siecle, colour plate XVI).
Born in 1823 at Dossenheim, Bas-Rhin, Charles Hunsinger (d. 1893) established his business in rue du Faubourg Saint-Antoine Circa 1859, as fabricant de meubles de luxe et de fantaisie. He specialised in ivory-inlaid furniture as well as in marquetry. He relocated to rue Keller in 1863, rue de la Roquette in 1867, and rue Sedaine in 1874, opening a second shop on rue des Pyramides Circa 1882. On 31 December 1872, he founded a new company with Charles-Adolphe-Frédéric Wagner, which prospered for approximately ten years under the name of Hunsinger & Wagner. He exhibited at the 1865, 1867, 1878 and 1889 Expositions Universelles. He was awarded a Gold Medal at the 1881 Brussels exhibition and a Médaille de Progrès et de Mérite at a Vienna exhibition.