The authorship for this model of candelabra can be firmly given to the ciseleur-doreur François Rémond. Probably first mentioned in 1783 when Rémond supplied the marchand-mercier Dominique Daguerre with a pair of candelabra à trépied portant huit Lumières Et six sphinx. Recorded candelabra of this model include a pair in the Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, which have onyx bodies; a pair with white marble in the Henry J. Huntington Museum, Pasadena, California; and a pair in the Wallace Collection, London, discussed in P.J. Hughes, The Wallace Collection Catalogue of Furniture III, London, 1996, no. 248 (F130-1). A pair, from the Palais de San Donato with Corso antique marble bodies and dated to the first quarter of the 19th century, sold The Wildenstein Collection, Christie's, London, 14-15 December 2005, lot 121.