The ormolu mounts to this table epitomize the 'style arabesque' developed by the celebrated Louis XVI maître Adam Weisweiler and his marchand-mercier, Dominique Daguerre. The caryatids heading the legs are copied from a table, now in the Louvre Museum, supplied in 1784 by Daguerre to the Queen Marie-Antoinette. Daguerre's bills record that the mounts were designed especially for the Queen.
Another example of this exact model by Millet is not known. However it should be compared to a model of table by Millet's contemporary, Henry Dasson, with herm legs and loop stretcher centred by an urn, of which an example sold Christie's, London, 15 March 2012, lot 135 (£115,250).
Established by Théodore Millet in 1853, the Maison Millet operated until 1902 from premises at 11, rue Jacques-Coeur, Paris, before relocating to 23, boulevard Beaumarchais. Specialising in 'meubles et bronzes d'art, genre ancien et moderne', with an accent on the Louis XV and XVI styles, Millet won awards in Paris and London including a gold medal at the 1889 Pairs Exposition Universelle, a Grand Prix in 1900 and three further diplomes d'honneur and four médailles d'or. In 1902 the firm was authorised by the director of the Palais de Versailles to replicate Marie-Antoinette's celebrated Grand cabinet à bijoux. An auction of the firm's inventory was held in 1906 and they finally ceased trading in 1918.