The original brass plaquette to this table identifies it as being giving as first prize for a tournament at Fontainebleau golf course. The club was inaugurated in 1909 suggesting the table was a prize in one of the clubs first tournaments. The table was probably gifted by the marquis Jean de Ganay (1861-1948), president of the club.
Two variant examples of this table by Linke sans tablettes, or lower shelves, are illustrated in C. Payne, François Linke 1855-1946: The Belle Epoque of French Furniture, Woodbridge, 2003, p. 66, pl. 58. Another example of this model sold Christie's, London, 24 September 2008, lot 123 (£8,125).