The ingenious window-pier bureau/games-table is designed in the George II 'antique' style of the 1730s. The shell badge of the nature-deity Venus is sculpted in bas-relief on a scalloped cartouche on the friezes serpentined and molded apron while Roman acanthus embellishes the Roman truss-scrolled pillar legs and their wave-voluted feet. Like its two concealed flaps, the hinged top has its Arcadian reed-moulded edge enwreathed by a golden fillet. The columnar-cornered top supported on a hinged back leg opens to reveal a baize-lined card-table while a second hinged leaf conceals a hinged book/music stand and fitted compartments.
Related multi-purpose tables feature in the 1730s trade-sheet issued by the High Holborn cabinet-maker Thomas Potter, who in partnership with John Kelsey supplied furniture to Sir Richard Colt Hoare of Barn Elms in 1738 (C. Gilbert and T. Murdoch, John Channon and brass-inlaid furniture 1730-1760, London, 1993, p. 19).