The cabinet relates to the work of William Hallett Snr. (d.1781), the pre-eminent craftsman of the period, who made bookcases and cabinets in the 'Kentian' tradition with triangular or broken-neck pediments, and rich carving. These include a monumental bookcase illustrated in A. Coleridge, 'A Reappraisal of William Hallett, Furniture History, 1965, pl. 1, a cabinet inscribed in pencil 'William Hallett / 1763 Long Acre', formerly at Halswell Park, Somerset (sold Christie's, New York, 14 October 2009, lot 54, $218,500), and the Walpole and Brand cabinets, attributed to Hallett Snr. (the latter sold Christie's, London, 'The Exceptional Sale', 5 July 2012, lot 5, £1,217,250).
It may also be identified as the work of Hallett Snr.'s former journeyman, William Vile (d.1767) of St. Martin's Lane, London. From 1753, Vile formed a powerful syndicate with John Cobb (d.1778) and Hallett Snr., and in partnership with Cobb received a royal warrant as of 1761. Hallett Snr., and to a lesser extent his son, operated as silent partners to Vile and Cobb, so their work is often confused. Related furniture attributed to Vile includes a medal cabinet, formerly the property of the Duke of Wellington, Stratfieldsaye House, Hampshire (Ed. R. Edwards and M. Jourdain, Georgian Cabinet-makers, 1955, p. 151, fig. 61), and a densely carved and gilt chest, circa 1755-60, from Longford Castle, Wiltshire. These two comparables display intricately carved rosettes and bands of diverse ornamentation similar to that found on the present cabinet (ibid., p. 154, fig. 66).