The gadrooned serpentine frame in the French manner, and complementary close-nailing, relates in character to the 'cabriole' chair in Thomas Malton's Compleat Treatise on Perspective, 1775, pl.xxxiii. Their 'acroteria' knees adorned with stylised palmettes also betray the influence of the French Grecian style.
The chair belongs to a group traditionally associated with John Cobb (d.1778) of St. Martin's Lane, 'upholsterer' to King George II from 1761 in partnership with William Vile (d.1767). A set of six mahogany chairs of corresponding design was supplied by Cobb in the 1770s to Philip Yorke for Erdigg, Wales. Another from the Leidesdorf Collection was sold Sotheby's New York, 28 June 1974, lot 138, while another set of six was exhibited by Mallett at the Grosvenor House Art & Antiques Fair, 1997.