No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.
The following two lots are from Clumber, Nottinghamshire. Clumber was built for Thomas Pelham-Clinton, second Duke of Newcastle (d. 1794) by Stephen Wright between 1767 and 1770. Set in a large park, designed in part by Capability Brown, it was a grand Palladian house near Worksop in Nottinghamshire. The fourth Duke inherited at the young age of eleven, and was a noted francophile and commissioned Sidney Smirke to add a new library in 1829. During the 1850s the house was further enlarged and embellished in the Italianate style by the fifth Duke, who also added the serpentine lake and a double avenue of lime trees over three miles in length. In the late nineteenth century a fire destroyed the whole centre section of the house, which was soon rebuilt. There was a further less serious fire in 1912. Upon the seventh Duke's death in 1928, Clumber passed to his nephew, Henry, sixteenth Earl of Lincoln & ninth Duke of Newcastle. He decided to demolish the house and replace it with a smaller one and there followed a series of sales including a major sale at Christie's in 1937. By the end of that year Clumber was empty, the contents sold, and the following year, the house was demolished. The intention was to build a new house on the site but the park was requisitioned by the War Department during the Second World War, and the rebuilding never took place. The park was purchased by the National Trust in 1946. However, much of the estate remains, including the outstanding Gothic Revival Chapel, Walled Garden and greenhouses, Stable yard and the estate village of Hardwick.
THE PROPERTY OF A EUROPEAN COLLECTOR