The scagliola top relates very closely to the work of Domenico Bartoli (fl. 1765-94), who worked for a time in Dublin and is then recorded in London, including working for James Wyatt in the 1790s. The most distinctive element of this table top is the entwined ivy and ribbon scroll on the edge of the top. This has direct links to Bartoli. He and Richter supplied a table top to Syon House, Middlesex. Its main decoration is identical to that on a table top originally acquired by Charles Agar, Archbishop of Dublin (1736-1809). This latter top has entwined decoration of a type very similar to the present top, linking it decoratively if not historically to Bartoli (D. Cameron, 'Scagliola inlay work: the problems of attribution', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies, vol. VII, 2004, pp. 149-151 and pls. 9-10). A further pair of tables, with tops close in design to the Syon and Agar examples, was probably commissioned by William Lowther, 1st Earl of Lonsdale (d. 1844) and was most recently sold anonymously, Christie's, London, 27 June 1985, lot 146. The Lonsdale tables are a very similar size to the present table but more importantly they share the extremely unusual characteristic of scagliola ornament on the tops being reflected in carved giltwood ornament on the bases. On the Lonsdale tables, the incurved legs are wreathed in laurel, reflecting the tops, and on the present tables it is the ivy of the tops that is carved on the bases. The Lonsdale tables also share the bamboo rod inlay in the top. Another table from the same group is at Dunsany Castle, Co. Meath (D. Guinness, Irish Houses, Dublin, 1972, p. 256).
This elliptical demi-medallion pier-table is designed in the 'antique' or 'Etruscan' style promoted by architects such as Robert Adam (d. 1792) and James Wyatt (d. 1813). Its black top is inlaid in scagliola compartments around a central lunette of trompe l'oeil golden jasper. This is wreathed by Apollo laurels and its border of ribboned and vine-entwined cane recalls the festive Bacchic thyrsus wand. Its antique-fluted frame, enriched with palm-flowered tables, is also wreathed with palms and a 'Venus' pearled ribbon-guilloche. Vines wreath its columnar legs, which are capped by pearled and Egyptian lotus-flowered urns and they terminate in reeded and thyrsic feet, which are tied by hollow-fronted ribbons to an 'Apollo' sunflowered stretcher medallion. The frame reflects the Louis XVI fashion promoted by the Parisian marchand-merciers such as Dominique Daguerre (d. 1796). The fading of the green ivy leaves to blue is characteristic of 18th century scagliola in which the green dye is fugitive. This feature was noticed by Donald Cameron (loc. cit.) by examination of the Constable family coat-of-arms at Burton Constable in which the intended colours are of course known.