With its distinctive double-curved candle-branches and scalloped decoration, this chandelier relates to the oeuvre of William Parker (see M. Mortimer, The English Glass Chandelier, Woodbridge, 2000, p.19, colour pl.10, p.101, pl.47 and p.102, pl.48). Founded by William Parker (d. 1784) of Fleet Street, London, the business flourished becoming Parker and Perry in 1802-3. Amongst the best documented Parker commissions is that for William, 5th Duke of Devonshire for Chatsworth, circa 1782-3.
A comparable chandelier by Parker and Perry is in the Winterthur Museum, Delaware (Ibid., p.19, pls.10-11) while another of closely related form, formerly with Hotspur Ltd., is illustrated Ibid., p.17, colour pl.8. A further example, reputedly made for the Russian market and subsequently bought by Nancy Lancaster for Ditchley Park, was sold by the Administrators of Polly Peck International, Phillips, London, 12 February 1991, lot 137 (£126,500) and another was sold anonymously, '50 Years of Collecting: The Decorative Arts of Georgian England', Christie's, London, 10 May 2003, lot 261 (£106,050). Most recently a closely related six branch chandelier, attributed to Parker and Perry, was sold anonywously, Christie's, London, 4 June 2009, lot 149 (£23,750).