This piece is part of a distinctive group of case pieces which can now be firmly attributed to George Simson, based on an example bearing his label and illustrated in G. Beard and C. Gilbert, Dictionary of English Furniture Makers 1660-1840, 1986, pl.22. The labelled piece, which is closely related to the present lot, is after a design in Thomas Sheraton's Cabinet-maker and Upholsterer's Drawing-Book, London, 1895, pl. 64 (see above). A further example compounding the attribution, following the same design and also labelled George Simson, is illustrated in C. Gilbert, Marked London Furniture 1700-1840, Leeds, 1996, p. 422, fig. 840.
George Simson is recorded at 19 St. Paul's Churchyard from 1780-1839. In 1793 he subscribed to Thomas Sheraton's Drawing-Book and in 1803 was included in the list of master cabinet-makers in the Cabinet Directory (G. Beard and C. Gilbert, op.cit., p. 817). Many pieces bearing his label feature fine figured timbers such as sabicu and satinwood, as on the current lot.
Amongst the case furniture attributed to Simson, are the so-called 'Weeks Cabinets' which incorporate clock movements and organs produced by Thomas Weeks of Tichborne Street. One of the group is in the City Museum and Art Gallery, Birmingham (R. Fastnedge, Sheraton Furniture, London, 1983, fig. 75).
A similar bonheur-du-jour, also following Thomas Sheraton's design, was sold by the late Montague Ely Sainsbury, Christie's, South Kensington, 6-7 July 1999, lot 899 (£25,300).