An advertisement of the ‘Churfürstlich Sächsische Spiegelfabrik’ illustrating a slightly smaller, though constructionally closely related chandelier in the Leipzig ‘Journal des Luxus und der Moden’ in December 1797 allows an attribution of this spectacular example to the Dresden workshops.
Despite protectionist measures of many German courts at the time, particularly by the Prussian authorities, dictating the use of indigenous materials, this chandelier is fitted with Bohemian glass, which was widely considered to be of the highest quality. The chandeliers made around 1800 in specialized factories in Berlin (Werner & Mieth) and Dresden (Dresdner Spiegelmanufaktur) represent the pinnacle of the development of luxury goods in gilt bronze in Germany.
See K. Klappenbach, Kronleuchter, Berlin 2001, pp. 49, 74 (ill. 71), 102 and 359.