With its elaborate mechanism designed to accommodate a whole spectrum of domestic activities, this sophisticated little table, veneered in figured mahogany, is typical of the late 18th century production of the Roentgen workshops.
Developed in the late 1780's by David Roentgen (1743-1807), who took control of his father Abraham's (1711-1793) workshop in 1772, this table relates to a small group of similarly proportioned and decorated tables, which all differ slightly in the fitting of their interior. Stylistically, the table offered here relates closest to one in the collection of the Dukes of Saxe Coburg Gotha in Coburg, while other examples have been recorded in Schloss Ludwigsburg, Swabia, and the collections of the Duchess Amalia of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach in the Wittumspalais, Weimar. Another example, stamped with a French royal inventory marque au feu is illustrated in D. Fabian, Roentgen Möbel aus Neuwied, 1986, p. 72, figs. 117-120.