These stylish wall lights, with their distinctive flame finial, are inspired by a design for a similar wall light en flambeau traditionally attributed to the ciseleur-doreur Jean-Louis Prieur, in the J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles, and illustrated in H. Ottomeyer/P. Pröschel, Vergoldete Bronzen, Munich, 1986, p. 172, pl. 3.5.3.
The model evidently enjoyed great success in the 18th century, and among the examples known are three pairs with three arms in the J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles (illustrated in G. Wilson, Decorative Arts, Los Angeles, 1986, p. 61, cat. 134) and a pair delivered to the château de Fontainebleau by the bronzier Antoine Ravrio in 1804 (illustrated in J. P. Samouyault, Pendules et bronzes d'ameublement entrés sous le Premier Empire à Fontainebleau, Paris, 1989, p. 128, cat. 93).