This set of four candelabra (girandoles sphinx et têtes de beliers) are a copy of the celebrated model by André-Charles Boulle (c.1672-1732), ébéniste, ciseleur, doreur et Sculpteur du Roi. They are based on a design by Jean Bérain (1638-1711) and are known to exist in either four or five branch models. J.N. Ronfort cites a mid-18th century reference to a pair with four branches listed in the inventory taken after the death of Marin de la Haye in 1753 (J.N. Ronfort, 'André-Charles Boulle: die Bronzearbeiten und seine Werkstatt im Louvre', in H. Ottomeyer, P. Pröschel et al., Vergoldete Bronzen, Munich, 1986, vol. II, pp. 459-520). A related pair of four light candelabra is in the James de Rothschild collection at Waddesdon Manor and another pair can be found at Warwick Castle. A five-light version with a quadripartite base mounted with four sphinxes was sold from the collection of Mrs. Gaby Salomon at Sotheby's, London, 12 November 1965.