The design of these chairs is closely related to that of the Houghton eagle suite, of which one pair was sold in the Houghton sale, Christie's, London, 8 December 1994, lot 130. The Houghton suite was supplied to Sir Robert Walpole, later 1st Earl of Orford (1676-1745) for the Marble Parlour, in the early 1730s.
The original location of the Bolton chairs is not known. James Gibbs built a new house at Cannam Heath in Hampshire for the 3rd Duke of Bolton (d.1754). Cannam Heath was a comparatively modest house and it is tempting to suggest that these chairs were supplied for the still 17th Century house at Hackwood Park nearby. Unfortunately these chairs are not identifiable in the 1765 inventory of Hackwood which shows the house very largely refurnished in a fashionable style after John Vardy's alterations of the early 1760s. Furthermore the 3rd Duke is known to have used Hackwood very little although he did commission plans for its alteration from James Gibbs which were never executed.