These candlesticks bear the imperial inventory stamps for the château de Saint-Cloud, and were almost certainly supplied for the redecoration of Napoleon's principal residence under the architects Charles Percier and Pierre-François-Léonard Fontaine.
With their lotus-cast spreading shaft and conformingly decorated circular base, these candlesticks 'à pans' are related to a pair recorded in 1810 in the Château de Fontainebleau (ill. in J.P. Samoyault, Pendules et bronzes d'ameublement entráes sous le Premier Empire, Paris, 1989, p. 188, fig. 173). These candlesticks, most probably delivered by Claude Galle in 1807, are recorded as 'deux flambeaux pieds ronds palmettes tiges à balusters tulpes par le base de om28' (Arch. Nat., 0 656). Further flambeaux à pans now in Fontainebleau are illustrated Ibid, pp.194-99.