These elegant wall-lights are of the same model as a pair supplied by Thomire-Duterme & Cie in 1810 for the premier cabinet des appartements de prince at the château de Fontainebleau (ill. in J.P. Samoyault, Pendules et Bronzes d'Ameublement entrés sous le Premier Empire, Paris, 1989, p. 144, pl. 119, and in. E. Dumonthier, Les Bronzes du Mobilier National: Bronzes d'Eclairage et de Chauffage, Paris, 1911, pl.26, no.5).
Unquestionably ranking amongst the most celebrated bronzier-ciseleurs of the Neoclassical period, Pierre-Philippe Thomire was born into a family of ciseleurs. He originally worked for the renowned bronziers Pierre Gouthière (1732-1813) and Jean-Louis Prieur (d.circa 1785-1790), ciseleur-doreur du roi, and quickly established a reputation for finely chased gilt-bronze.
Thomire was responsible for designing and fitting ormolu mounts at the Sèvres factory after Duplessis's death in 1783 and also frequently collaborated with the celebrated marchand-mercier Dominique Daguerre.