The Louis XVI models for these grand candelabra are known as 'les grands faunes' and have been attributed to the foremost bronzier of the Louis XVI period, François Rémond. They furthermore relate to a drawing in the Musée des Art Décoratifs, Paris, of circa 1785 which has traditionally been attributed to the celebrated Parisian marchand-mercier Dominique Daguerre.
A similar pair of figures, with candle-branches, are in the Louvre (see H. Ottomeyer, P. Pröschel, Vergoldete Bronzen, Munich, 1986, p. 283, cat. 4.14.5) while another two pairs, both dating from the late 18th century, were purchased by George IV and are now at Buckingham Palace (see J. Harris, G de Bellaigue, O. Millar, Buckingham Palace, London 1968, pp. 154 and 194). During the Empire period, a pair were supplied to the Empress's second salon at Fontainebleau in 1804 and another pair was supplied to the Emperor's salon and in 1852 both pairs were moved to the Tuileries where they decorated Emperor Napoleon III and Eugénie's Apollo salon (see D. Alcouffe, et. al., Gilt bronzes in the Louvre, Dijon, 2004, no. 95). A further pair dating from the 19th century, like the ones offered here, are at Waddesdon Manor, Buckinghamshire (see Sir A. Blunt, The James A. de Rothschild Collection at Waddesdon Manor, London, 1974, pp. 688-9).