These superb wall-lights relate to the oeuvre of the celebrated Turinese bronzista Francesco Ladatte (1706-1787), chiefly remembered for his distinctive interpretation of the naturalistic rococo idiom, as exemplified on the series of wall-lights in the Palazzo Reale, Turin (illustrated in V. Viale et al., 'Mostra del Barocco Piemontese', Exhibition Catalogue, Turin, 1963, figs. 298-301), where much of his production remain to this day.
The elegant swirling curves and remarkable craftsmanship which characterize the present wall-lights are reminiscent of Ladatte's exalted rococo style. They combine the rocaille of the Louis XV period with the 'Piedmontese exuberance'. The breadth of Ladatte's production is rather impressive as he is known to have executed not only objets d'art and mounts for furniture but also large-scale sculptures and reliefs. He is perhaps best remembered for his small ormolu objects and his work as a modeler and chaser for the celebrated Turinese cabinet-maker Pietro Piffetti.
Closely related pairs of wall-lights executed by the bronzista circa 1740-5 include a pair in the Museo Civico d'Arte Antica e Palazzo Madama (inv. 1053/B, ill. in G.Beretti et.al., Gli Splendori del Bronzo, Turin, 2002, p.107, pl.1) and further related wall-lights illustrated in E. Colle et.al, Bronzi Decorativi in Italia, Milan, 2001, pp.110-3. The rare examples sold at auction include a pair of wall-lights attributed to Ladatte sold Sotheby's, 13 June 1997, lot 27.