Designed in the French/antique or Grecian fashion popularised during George IV's Regency, these elegant plinth-supported and chain-railed 'commode-tables' are ormolu enriched with golden 'Venus' pearl strings wreathing tablets that are sunk in the pilasters and friezes. Intended for the window-pier of a fashionable Reception Dressing Room, they conceal drawers and clothes-press trays behind silk-lined doors, whose scrolled 'bronze' trellis forms elliptic compartments that are echoed by their frame's rayed parquetry. Around 1810 this trellis pattern was favoured by the London and Lancaster firm of Gillow (see N. Goodison and J. Hardy, 'Gillows at Tatton Park', Furniture History, 1970, pp. 1-39 pl. 7a). Related 'Leigh' commodes were designed around 1813 and invoiced in 1819 by the Mayfair cabinet-maker George Oakley (d.1840) (see lot 122).