This pair of giltwood console tables was formerly in the collection of the dukes of Devonshire at Chatsworth, Derbyshire from where they were sold in October 2010. Although they are unstamped and do not bear a maker's label, the Italianate model recalls the oeuvre of Morant & Sons who between 1839 and 1840 invoiced the 6th Duke for £2,686 13s 4d for work carried out at Chatsworth.
The firm of Morant, Boyd & Morant was established in 1790 by George Morant (d. 1846) at 88 New Bond Street, London. It continued to flourish and expand throughout the 19th century. By 1852 the firm was known as Morant & Boyd and had premises at 91 New Bond Street, and by 1858 they had moved to 81 New Bond Street. In that same year they supplied furniture to William Duckworth at Orchardleigh Park, Frome, which was later sold at Christie's House sale, 21-22 September 1987, Lots 99-101 and 243. The business continued into the twentieth century, when it became known as Lenygon & Morant.
Among Morant's various clients were members of the Royal Family, the Marquess of Londonderry at Wynyards Park, Durham, and the Duke of Sutherland at Stafford House, London (now Lancaster House). The latter in the fashionable 'Louis Quatorze style' include parcel-gilt and painted pier tables for the Great South Drawing Room, which incorporated putti and foliage in a similar extravagant style to the present example.