In 1846, A. W. N. Pugin (d.1852) commenced work on interior details for Adare Manor, Co Limerick, Ireland for the 2nd Earl of Dunraven (d.1850). This included the hall ceiling, the staircase and plans for the dining-room, library and terrace. Pugin's work was never fully executed but many of his chimney pieces and interior detailing were complete by 1850. The 3rd Earl turned to P. C. Hardwick to complete the house in the Pugin manner from 1850-1862. Hardwick made frequent use of Pugin's drawings for panelling and decorative detailing.
The chandeliers, with their lily-flowered coronas can be compared to Pugin's medieval lamp designs issued in the 1846 catalogue of Messers Hardman & Co. of Birmingham. Related chandeliers were designed by Pugin for the New Palace of Westminster and for the Duke of Devonshire, while another was among Hardman's exhbits at the 1851 London Exhibition (see P. Atterbury and C. Wainwright, Pugin, 1994, pls. 415, 432 and 447.).
This pair of chandeliers formed a suite of lighting in the Great Hall at Adare Manor. It comprised of a large ten light, two tier chandelier and two pairs of five light chandeliers, all mounted with glass cabachons.