These medallion-backed chairs, designed in the George III 'antique' manner, may be inspired by a set of hall chairs commissioned in the mid-1770s by George Brodrick, 4th Viscount Midleton (d. 1836) for the entrance hall at Peper Harow, Sussex. The latter were executed under the direction of Sir William Chambers and were probably supplied by Messrs. Mayhew & Ince, cabinet-makers and upholsterers of Golden Square and authors of The Universal System of Household Furniture, 1762. Mayhew and Ince had collaborated with Chambers on various projects, including the refurbishment carried out for the 4th Duke of Marlborough at Blenheim Palace from the late 1760s. The Peper Harow chairs may have been executed by the specialist carver Sefferin Alken (fl. 1744-1783) under their employ as there is a considerable payment recorded from Chambers to Alken for £294 14s.9d. Chambers, Alken and John Mayhew worked together at Blenheim. Three pairs of chairs from the Peper Harow suite were sold anonymously [Collection of a New York Townhouse], Christie's, New York, 15 April 2005, lots 220-222. Another pair from the same suite was sold anonymously, Christie's, London, 11 February 1999, lot 5 (£19,550). The chairs may have been either executed or retailed by the Oxford Street firm of Gregory & Co. or W. J. Mansell of Fulham Road. Mahogany chairs following a popular early 19th century pattern published in Thomas Hope's Household Furniture and Interior Decoration, 1807, were sold anonymously Christie's, London, 4 July 2002, lot 93 and 15 September 2005, lot 209. Charles Gregory moved to Regent Street from Borough High Street in 1861. The firm specialised in 'Artistic Furniture' and employed designers such as Charles Bevan who designed a rosewood suite which was awarded a bronze medal at the 1878 Paris Exhibition. Gregory and Co. were later based at 27 Bruton Street, Berkeley Square.