The present console is closely related to a console table by Jules Degoullons executed for the Château de Bercy, almost certainly designed and carved circa 1713, and now in the collections of the Louvre (see Bill G. B. Pallot, Furniture Collections in the Louvre, Dijon, 1993, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 40-41). Together with André and Mathieu Legoupil, Marin Bellan and Pierre Taupin, Degoullons was responsible for much of the carved panelling and related furniture supplied to Charles-Henri II de Malon de Bercy, and according to an inventory drawn up on the latter's death in 1742, the console was located in the grand cabinet under a pier glass between two windows. This is further confirmed by illustrated records of the panelling and decoration of the main salons at Bercy made by the architect Froelicher prior to the demolition of the Château in 1861 (published by Deshairs, 1911).