The pattern for this ink stand may have been invented for Queen Charlotte, who was a visitor to George Bullock's premises that had been established in the Grecian Rooms, Piccadilly in 1812. One such stand described as 'A very sumptuous circular ink-stand, of the late George Bullock's Buhl manufacture with richly cut glass' was included in the Queen's effects sold anonymously, Christie's, London as 'The Remaining part of a valuable Collection of Curiosities [works of art]...' 24-26 May 1819, lot 38. In the same year, Christie's had conducted the sale of 'The Superb Furniture and ... finished stock of that highly ingenious artist [Mr. Bullock]', held at 4, Tenterden Street, Hanover Square, 3 - 5 May, which included three similar circular inkstands of oak, lots 28, 45 and 55.
Patterns for this form of ink-stand, as well as a rectangular version inscribed 'Mr [Matthew Robinson] Boulton', survive in the Bullock Wilkinson tracings in the Birmingham City Museum and Art Gallery (M.3.74). The latter, invoiced in 1817 for 12 was sold by his descendant, the late Major Eustace Robb, Tew Park at Great Tew, Christie's house sale, 27-29 May 1987, lot 13 (£7,700 including premium). More recently a similar stand was sold anonymously Christie's, London, 23 April 2009, lot 1 (£8,500 including premium)